Vice President, Compliance
Join a financial group that’s as committed to your future as you are. At MUFG, we share a vision for our future, we share our successes, and we strive to bring out the best in each other in everything we do. As the 5th largest bank in the world, our diverse team is connected by a common ambition to create change for the better—from forging more dynamic career paths to driving progress in our communities, to continuously reshaping the standards of global financial services. Positive impact starts here; see the change you can make as we strive to become the world’s most trusted financial group.
MUFG is one of the world’s leading financial groups. With over 360 years of growing the financial health of the world’s greatest businesses, Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG) has a global network of 150,000 employees, with 1,800 offices and 300 entities in more than 50 countries. Our promise is simple. We serve our communities, foster economic growth and aim to become the preferred trusted financial advisers to our customers. Together, we have the unmatched expertise and global capabilities to meet the diversified needs of all our customers in the Americas and worldwide.
The Vice President of Compliance, provides direction and oversight to the Line of Businesses and Functional Areas to ensure that MUFG Bank, Ltd., Canada Branch remains in compliance with Canadian and provincial regulations applicable to all aspects of Regulatory Compliance including, but not limited to, Anti-money Laundering & Anti-Terrorist Financing (AML/ATF) Privacy, and general Compliance.
The incumbent oversees the development and execution of a comprehensive compliance and AML/ATF framework that identifies, assesses and addresses all regulatory and legislative compliance risks, developing and implementing programs relating to the assets, employees, customers and reputation of MUFG Bank, Ltd., Canada branch.
Principal duties and responsibilities of this job classification
Regulatory Compliance Management:
- Participate in the design and development of a compliance framework and supervision structure that provides assurance that all regulatory requirements are met. This framework shall incorporate a structure for identifying, monitoring, assessing and managing compliance requirements and reporting on any identified compliance violations;
- Identify applicable regulatory requirements for the MUFG Bank, Ltd., Canada branch businesses;
- Provide advice and support to the lines of business and functional areas on the interpretation of regulatory matters, non-compliance issues;
- Define and maintain a library inventory of all lending and deposit-taking regulatory requirements;
- Work closely with the Chief Compliance Officer to ensure the ongoing implementation and maintenance of an effective Compliance Program, contributing to the fulfillment of the Bank’s goal to conduct all aspects of its business in accordance with all applicable regulations;
- Research emerging trends, regulatory guidance, and test best practices.
Anti-Money Laundering/Anti-Terrorist Financing (AML/ATF):
- Act as the internal subject matter expert and develop effective compliance and AML/ATF governance and decision processes aligned with MUFG Bank, Ltd., Canada branch’s operating model and Compliance risk strategy;
- Ensure the requirements of the Financial Crime Standard are complied with;
- Provide guidance to a team of analysts responsible for monitoring and investigating transaction activities using internal and external risk monitoring tools;
- Responsible for designing, building, and documenting the financial crime management program and would include creating reporting metrics and dashboard;
- Supervise financial crime based investigations on an enterprise-wide basis leveraging referrals or activity including escalated AML/ATF and Fraud based alerts;
- Ensure the Compliance AML/ATF policies are in compliance with applicable regulations, governance standards, best practice imperatives of the organization;
- Assist or lead investigations potentially involving external stakeholders in the context of investigations relating to financial crimes (money laundering, corruption, external fraud, etc.);
- Collect and analyze documents and electronic evidence and conduct interviews in the course of investigations;
- Analyze the investigation results and identify and implement proactive practices and/or corrective measures to minimize and detect opportunities for criminal activities or unethical behavior to occur;
- Maintain strong working relationships with Lines of Business and Functional Areas to ensure compliance and that the AML/ATF regulatory risk issues are managed effectively and communicated through appropriate governance bodies and protocols;
- Responsible for ensuring annual AML/ATF risk assessment is conducted as per the Bank’s internal processes and internal policies;
- Ensure that efficient and quality services are delivered to both internal and external customers that meet or exceed agreed service standards;
- Assisting with the development and delivery of training to ensure ongoing awareness of emerging risk patterns and trends;
- Identify opportunities for streamlining tasks and processes that would include communicating with both internal and external developer resources.
Monitoring, Assessment, Reporting & Documentation:
- Monitor and assess the effectiveness and efficiency of compliance processes;
- Assess and test, if applicable, all business processes, products, and services and identify compliance deficiencies/risks and provide recommendations to mitigate the risk;
- Provide assistance to various functions and/or business operations, as required, to help them develop and document procedures;
- Assist with the documentation of manual procedures for the Compliance function;
- Complete monthly summary report for the Chief Compliance Officer on any emerging trends;
- Provides assistance in the preparation of Compliance reports for management purposes;
- Ensure that appropriate, timely and relevant compliance risk information is provided to applicable Lines of Business and Functional Areas;
- Monitor regulatory developments and emerging trends that could impact MUFG Bank, Ltd., Canada branch, and translate those discoveries into actionable items to prepare MUFG Bank, Ltd., Canada branch, as warranted;
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements has been assessed for new businesses, operational changes, and new initiatives.
Notice: The above information on this job description has been described to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents. Other duties and responsibilities not specifically described may be assigned from time to time, consistent with the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the incumbent.Qualifications:
Types of prior related experience:
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant industry experience within a financial institution, including senior compliance and risk management roles;
- Thorough knowledge of regulatory and compliance practices, procedures and principles applicable to the banking industry in Canada;
- Strong working knowledge of relevant provincial and federal legislation;
- Experience in management of investigation;
- Conceptual thinker with highly developed problem solving & decision-making skills;
- Organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines;
- Results-oriented team player;
- Ability to work well with deadlines in a changing environment and perform multiples tasks effectively;
- Ability to manage relationships with both internal and external customers;
- Bachelor’s Degree, MBA or relevant graduate degrees are considered an asset
Special skills/abilities/competencies required:
- Accountable – He/she is accountable for the achievement of his/her Individual Performance Goals and /or Success Measures. He/she demonstrates his/her accountability by the following behaviors: knowledgeable, responsible, reliable, accurate, and delivery oriented;
- Avid Learner/Embraces Change – He/she engages in learning, mentorship and personal development opportunities. He/she is curious, seeks, acquires, applies and shares knowledge. He/she embraces change by being open-minded, understanding, adaptive, committed, and creative.
- Effective Team Member/Inspiring Leader – He/she engages in spirited teamwork. As an effective team member, he/she lends a hand to team members in need, motivates others with a positive attitude and shares great ideas. He/she is engaged, contributing, respectful, supporting and questioning;
- Helpful – “Helpful” is practically his/her middle name and he/she takes it to the next level. He/she listens, is responsive, resourceful, proactive, and action-oriented.
Chartered in 1981 and assuming its current identity as MUFG Canada Branch, our Canadian Branch is the premier Asia-based global bank in its market. We serve local and Japanese clients from the Atlantic to the Pacific with financial expertise across a number of key industries such as oil and gas, pipelines, power generation, automotive, transportation, and telecom.
The receipt of this application by MUFG Bank, Ltd., Canada Branch (“MUFG Canada Branch”), does not imply or guarantee employment. MUFG Canada Branch is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or in any other aspect of employment on the basis of the grounds enumerated in the Canadian human rights act. In addition, MUFG Canada Branch complies with applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it maintains facilities. MUFG Canada Branch provides accommodation to individuals in accordance with the requirements outlined in Canadian human rights act and the Canada Labour Code.